If you are considering a gift to the Iowa Veterans Home, thank you for thinking of us! By donating, you are letting our heroes know you are thinking of them and that you care about their well-being.
We accept both monetary and resource donations. You can find more information on this page about our needs and how to give.
Your tax-deductible donation makes living at the Iowa Veterans Home feel more like living at home. We currently have two monetary funds that we accept donations for.
Our staff works hard to meet our residents' needs. This fund makes sure that no resident is left out because of their inability to pay. The account is used for recreational costs. All funds directly go toward residents' individual and group needs.
Some of the ways funds in this account are used:
- Admission for off-campus outings.
- Bowling program.
- Gardening program.
- On-campus entertainment.
- Resident niceties.
The Christmas season is a magical time of the year. However, this joyous time of year can often leave the elderly feeling lonely and isolated. Our goal every day — but especially during the holiday season — is to make every resident feel cared about and included.
Every year the Iowa Veterans Home purchases Christmas gifts for each of our residents using this fund. Each resident is given a list of gift choices, and they can create their very own Christmas wish list. Once the lists are gathered, the IVH elves do their magic, and gifts are presented to the residents at their unit holiday parties.
It brings a little more holiday spirit to our residents, especially those who may not have family or regular visitors.
Many of our residents rely on the generosity of the people who graciously donate to them. We currently have more than 500 residents who have a variety of needs.
How to Donate:
- Please notify Volunteer Services of your donation ahead of time by calling 641-753-4406
- All donated items must be new. We cannot accept used or partially used items.
- Include your organization and/or the name of the person donating. Include a complete address, phone number, and monetary value (if you wish to assign one).
- Send or deliver items to:
1301 Summit Street
Marshalltown, IA 50158
Items Currently Needed:
- CD Players
- Alarm clocks with big numbers
- Men's aftershave/cologne (no aerosol) and women's perfume/body spray
- Nail polish and polish remover
- Candy bars: full-sized and snack-sized
- Individually wrapped snack items (Little Debbies, chips, cookies). Please check the expiration date on food items before donating.
- Microwave popcorn and puff corn
- Cans of soda pop
- Forever postage stamps
- Heavy material to make bags to hold wheelchair pedals
- Adult coloring books (large print and low vision)
- Military ball caps
- White regular popcorn seeds (not microwave) for Wednesday's popcorn program
- Electric razors
New Clothing Donations:
We primarily need clothing size XL and above. We need sizes as large as 8X.
- Tennis shoes (men's size 10)
- T-shirts with pocket
- White undershirts
- Long-sleeved undershirts
- Iowa college sports apparel (Iowa, ISU, UNI, etc.)
- Lap blankets
- All sizes of canvases
- Simple snap-on models
- Paint or color by number
- Modeling clay
- Acrylic and watercolor paints
- Any simple art projects
- iN2L (It's Never Too Late): This stand-alone multifunction machine is used by residents to promote entertainment and challenge their cognitive functioning. There are games, music, and video content delivered individually or as a group activity. We would like to request donations to offset the cost of the yearly subscriptions for all seven machines.
- Flat-screen TVs: The Iowa Veterans Home's goal is to provide and maintain a 32" flat-screen TV for all residents in our facility. We have a need to store four to five 32-inch flat-screen televisions to replace unserviceable televisions. Our desired brand is LG or Samsung.
- Library support: The Peterson Library is a wonderful area for residents to unwind and relax. The library consists of current DVDs, large-print books, local and national newspapers, magazines, five desktop computers for resident use, audiobooks, and CDs. We ask for donations to ensure our residents have the most updated materials and facilities.
- Event tickets: We seek event tickets of 16 or more for a variety of events.
Items We Do Not Accept:
- Used clothing
- Partially used items of any kind
- Trial-sized personal care items (shampoo, deodorant, body wash, lotion, etc.)
Items Not Needed At This Time:
- Used puzzles
- Playing cards
Please contact our staff with any additional questions.