Eligibility for burial is the same as those for other cemeteries operated under the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs standards. Any service member honorably separated from the service, their spouse, and eligible dependent children may be buried at the cemetery. Please contact the cemetery to determine eligibility.
Eligibility Defined by Military Service
Eligibility determinations are made in accordance with federal regulations (38 CFR 38.620) and state administrative rules. In general, the military service requirements for burial in the Iowa Veterans Cemetery are:
- Discharged from “active duty” under conditions other than dishonorable, or
- Died while on “active duty”, or
- Served at least 20 years in the National Guard or Reserves and qualified for military retirement pay (or would have qualified except death occurred before age 60), or
- Reserve personnel are eligible if they served in a Presidential call-up during their Reserve Component military service. Active duty for training does not qualify as active service.
Living in Iowa is not a requirement to be eligible for burial in the Iowa Veterans .
Eligible veterans are interred for free. Burial options include:
- Ground burial of caskets and cremated remains
- Above ground placement of remains in the next available columbarium niche.
- Standard upright granite headstone/niche marker in included free of charge
There is a $300 interment fee for an eligible spouse or dependent child. This fee is subject to change. An eligible family members will be interred with or along side the veteran depending on the arrangements made. Burial fees are used for future physical expansion of the cemetery and infrastructure improvements. Perpetual care of the gravesites and grounds is provided by cemetery personnel at no cost to the veteran or his/her family.
Eligibility Determination Application
The application for eligibility must be filled out and reviewed to qualify for burial in the cemetery. It can be filled out at the time of death (need) or ahead of time (pre-need).
Pre-need determination allows veterans to establish eligibility for interment at the cemetery in advance. Pre-need determination is free and does not obligate the veteran to be buried at the cemetery. Pre-need determination helps simplify and assist the veteran's/eligible family member's next-of-kin at the time of death. It is a form of pre-estate planning. Completing a pre-registration application and mailing it with the supporting documentation can bring peace of mind as veterans and their families plan for their loved ones.
At the time of need, funeral directors must submit an Application for Interment.
Fill out all necessary information on each application. When you're done, print two copies of each application. Keep on copy for yourself. Send the second copy with all supporting documentation to:
Iowa Veterans Cemetery
34024 Vetrans memorial Drive
Adel Iowa 50003-3300
Telephone: (515) 996-9048
Fax: (515) 996-9102