Serving Iowa Veterans Since 1887
The Iowa Department of Veterans Affairs' history is rooted in the post-Civil War establishment of what's now the Iowa Veterans Home. Iowa Veterans Home opened in 1887 as the Iowa Soldiers Home.
Iowa Soldiers Home Opens
The Iowa Soldiers Home opened to house displaced Civil War veterans. At the start, life at the facility resembled life under Army rules and regulations. Residents wore uniforms, marched in formation, stood inspections, ate at a mess hall, and went to bed at taps. They slept in open wards and needed passes to get by the sentry at the gates.
Today, our Marshalltown campus spans 150 acres. We serve about 500 veterans and have more than 900 staff, making us one of the largest state-run veterans homes in the country. We seek to help Iowa veterans and their spouses through nursing and residential care. We seek to improve their quality of life by focusing on personalized services and choices.
Resident Work at the Facility
Residents at the home raised cattle and hogs and grew fruit and vegetables on about 160 acres. Their work helped the home be self-sufficient. The campus also housed the commandant, quartermaster, adjutant, surgeon, and nurses.
A Focus on Health Care
The home began to focus on professionally managed health care for aging veterans after the first infirmary was built in the 1890s. Six years later, a larger infirmary was built to satisfy the growing population. We have continued to update the facility and services over the years to provide the clinical expertise our residents need.
Please contact our staff with any additional questions