This scholarship is made available through the Branstad-Reynolds Scholarship Fund Created For Iowa Students.
This fund was established to help children of deceased military service members who died in active military status after September 11, 2001 pay for a college education. The scholarship is funded through the Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines. The Iowa Department of Veterans Affairs administers the fund, reviews applications, and help students with the application process.
To qualify applicants must meet the following requirements.
- Must be the child of a qualifying Service Member who was a resident of Iowa at the time of entering military service and at the time of death
- Date of death must be after September 11, 2001, but does not have to be combat-related
- Military status includes active federal service in the Armed Forces or Iowa-based unit, National Guard, or Reserves
- Student is attending or will attend an Iowa post-secondary educational institution
What does the scholarship pay for?
Costs like . . .
- special tools and equipment required for coursework
- school-approved tutoring
- other required educational expenses
Once all educational expenses are met, any remaining funds will be released to the student in order to cover other expenses as needed.